Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Moved To Tears

Have you ever been moved to tears by a piece of music? I certainly have. Being a writer I am extremely vulnerable to uncontrollable outbursts of tears. You know the artsy person syndrome. My daughter is also a very creative little gal. There isn’t anything she attempts that she cannot figure out and do well. She expressed interest in the guitar two and a half years ago after having taught herself to play the piano. She has now taught herself to play the guitar…quite well I must say. She’s even giving me lessons! Not a day goes by in the Hodge Household that there isn’t music playing. Our son will be beating the drums to his own tune and Kass will walk around like Neil Diamond serenading us in any room we’re in…often.

One evening before bed Kass wanted to show me one of the songs she had written. Naturally I say yes. So she sits on the edge of the couch crosses one leg over to rest her guitar on and begins to play. Instantly the melody catches me; sends shivers of blessings all over. Then her lyrics rang out…so deep for such a young one. I marveled as I witnessed this gift from God with a talent so big you cannot dispute that there is a Creator. I began to cry. I was overwhelmed with the depth of this child. What really caught me was her appearance. She wore unmatched jammies, the bottom of the foot of her crossed leg was speckled with several shades of dirt…well earned from a hard days play. Her hair was ratted from just being let out of a pony tail and there was a bit of dried toothpaste on the corner of her mouth from having just brushed her teeth. All the while, singing a praise song to Jesus. It was this entire picture that captivated me and compelled me to tears. From this little child, who is not the least bit concerned with her outward appearance but very aware of and attuned to the God who lives within her, sings to me a love song for her Creator! All she wanted to do was express her gratitude through the gift of music. To share it with anyone she could. To be a good steward of what the Lord has given her. She ministered to me and didn’t even know it. Wow! Moved to tears by a piece of music and later to my knees in awe of the Giver.