Saturday, July 7, 2007

What? It's NOT about me!

Have you ever cried out to the Lord, “Why me?” I’m certain you have a time or two. Have you ever gone through a tough circumstance and wondered what its purpose was? Are you still wondering today? Have you ever considered it might not be about you at all? So many questions, so little space to write…

I certainly don’t have all the answers to life’s tough questions but I have learned often times God asks me to endure opposition or hardship for another’s benefit. Well why would He do that when He can speak directly to that person if He wanted to? Well He is…through me.

There have been times in my life when a friend has come to me to say how much God had spoken to them through what I was going through at that time. It usually isn’t until that moment I can see what the Lord was doing. All the questioning comes to a stop and all I’m left with is Praise. This brother or sister in Christ needed to hear from or see God in some way but maybe wasn’t quite ready personally to “get it” on their own. So God used me. I think about all the complaining and stubbornness that had poured out of me and in an instant turns into humility. I realize it is an honor that God would see fit to use me, to speak through me, to count on me to be open and willing to work through me to reach someone else.

Who am I that I should not endure a little discomfort and be used by God? Jesus endured a lot for me. He certainly didn’t have to die a brutal death and could’ve escaped it all if He wanted to. He could’ve walked away and never looked back. But He couldn’t get me, or you, out of his mind. He saw the big picture and though it was for the benefit of the lost, still He gave up His rights for us. Those are footsteps to follow. I have to remember sometimes not to ask “Why me?” but ask “Who for?"