Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Glorious?


How is God glorified in me? I heard once this quote, “Unless you see Me (God) as glorious how can I be glorious through you?” Those words penetrated to the deepest part of me.

I think an easier question for me to ask myself is what doesn’t bring glory to God? I ask this because it takes discipline and obedience to live a life that honors God, two things that I struggle with. How many of us live a life of mediocrity concerning bringing glory to God?

I realized I do not take God as seriously as I should. I don’t really know Him the way He wants me to. I haven’t even scraped the surface of the beginning. I think I know Him at times – usually in the best of times – when life is great! But really, I have no idea just how big and sovereign He really is!

For instance I noticed the other day while I was praying for someone that I asked God to “be with her”. Why am I asking God to do something He is already doing? “God go with her today?” “Child, I AM, I am already there!” He is with her and me and you. How can He be anymore with her than He already is? It would be better for me to pray for her and her very own awareness of His omnipresence. It would be better for me to thank Him for already being there and even going before her! This is how little I really know my God.

I wonder if my ignorance shields what should be illuminating from within me. Sure it does! It would be like advertising and pitching a new hair color. Say I was promoting the new blonde shade and talked it up to everyone I met. Telling them just how beautiful it was, how soft my hair felt, how long the color lasts but yet my hair was still dark brown and lifeless. I had never used it and furthermore would be unable to answer any questions about it. It wouldn't exactly speak well for being a representative of the hair color and it certainly would not effectively promote the product. All I’d be doing is speaking meaningless words with nothing to show for. All my efforts only high light my ignorance. And possibly turn prospective clients away, permanently. I do not want to be that kind of representative for Christ! Not to say I’m “selling” Christ – but I am His representative.

What brings Him glory? What turns all attention directly on Him and only Him? When my attention is fully on Him! How often it is not. Even in the simplest of things. Driving and seeing the most beautifully landscaped yard and wanting to thank the gardener instead of the Creator! I forget that He is everything! That He holds everything. He knows everything. I know so much more about my best friends whom I see a total of maybe 8 hours a week than I do my Creator who is by my side and living within in me every single second of my life. To bring Him glory I must actively seek Him and His ways. I must believe He is God – I cannot promote something I do not believe in. Everything about who God is must penetrate my very soul and I must meditate on each and every detail of His being and His word. I will then, and only then, see how beautiful, majestic and Glorious He truly is – as a result He will be seen as Glorious through me.